An evergreen shrub up to 6 ft high, of graceful spreading habit; young shoots clothed at first with whitish down, which becomes tawny and mostly falls away before winter. Leaves of hard texture, oval-lanceolate, slender-pointed, tapered towards the base; 11⁄2 to 31⁄2 in. long, 1⁄2 to 11⁄8 in. wide; dark glossy green, wrinkled and at first downy above; grey, woolly and strongly veined in five to ten pairs beneath; stalk about 1⁄8 in. long. Flowers white, borne ten to twelve together in corymbs about 11⁄2 in. wide. Fruits pear-shaped, at first very downy, finally orange-red, 1⁄4 in. long, containing three or four nutlets.
Native of W. Szechwan, China; discovered and introduced by Wilson in 1908. It is closely related to C. henryanus, but the leaves of that species have up to twelve pairs of veins, they are not so woolly beneath, and the fruits have only two or three seeds. Some plants cultivated under this name are really the common C. henryanus.