An evergreen shrub of robust habit 4 to 6 ft high, with stout, angled, very leafy branchlets; not downy but slightly glandular-resinous. Leaves narrowly obovate or oval, stiff, the largest 3 in. long by 1 in. wide; toothed except towards the tapering base, rather blunt at the apex, glabrous; stalk very short, reddish. Flowers clear rosy red, 1⁄3 to 1⁄2 in. across, produced late in the year in short, densely flowered, terminal panicles; petals forming a tube at the base, upper part spreading; flower-stalks and calyx quite glabrous or minutely glandular, the latter with five narrow, awl-shaped lobes. Bot. Mag., t. 4274.
Discovered in ravines near the summit of the Organ Mountains of Brazil by Gardner in 1841, and introduced to England by W. Lobb very soon after. Gardner named it E. organensis, but the species had been described some years earlier by the Portuguese botanist Vellozo under the name Vigiera laevis. It is not hardy except in Cornwall, etc., but worth growing on a wall for its beautiful rosy flowers.