A deciduous shrub 4 to 6 ft high; young shoots reddish brown, slender, furnished with minute, grey, starry scales. Leaves ovate-lanceolate, pointed, minutely toothed, 1⁄2 to 1 in. long, half or less than half as wide, white and entirely covered beneath with twelve- to fourteen-rayed scales, much more thinly above with five- or six-rayed ones; stalk 1⁄16 in. long. Flowers in corymbs of up to fifteen blossoms produced at the end of short twigs; petals white, 2⁄5 in. long, 1⁄6 in. wide, broadening towards the apex; calyx scaly, with five triangular lobes; stamens about 1⁄5 in. long, notched where the anthers are attached. Seed-vessel globose, 1⁄8 in. wide. Bot. Mag., n.s., t. 123.
Native of N.W. Yunnan, China; introduced by Forrest, who collected it first in November 1917, and again in July 1921, at an altitude of 8,000 ft. It is distinct on account of its small leaves and small fruits. It is quite hardy at Kew and plants flower freely there in late May and June. An attractive shrub.
This species is rather variable in flowering time, but the form usually seen in gardens is not in full blossom until July and all the more valuable on that account. On strong shoots the leaves may be up to 13⁄4 in. long.