A deciduous shrub 10 ft or more high, of spreading habit, glabrous in all its parts; winter buds spindle-shaped, 1⁄4 in. long. Leaves obovate or oval, mostly slender-pointed, wedge-shaped at the base, finely toothed; 21⁄2 to 4 in. long, 1 to 11⁄2 in. wide; dark glossy green; veins in four or five pairs; stalk 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 in. long. Flowers small, numerous, green, copiously produced in May on slender-stalked cymes 1 to 2 in. long. Fruits 7⁄8 in. wide, pink, four-winged; wings 1⁄4 in. long, thin, narrowing to a rounded end; aril deep red.
Native of Pacific Russia, Korea, Manchuria, and Japan; introduced in 1905 by Messrs Veitch, who distributed it under the name “E. sachalinensis”. It is a very hardy shrub and grows vigorously at Kew. A fine plant, 14 ft in diameter and 10 ft high, with long arching branches, is in the collection there which bears fruit regularly.