An evergreen shrub with clustered stems, free from down in all its parts, 6 to 8 ft high, the branches set with three-parted spines 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 in. long. Leaves of firm texture, 11⁄2 to 4 in. long, 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 in. wide; linear-lanceolate, tapering to a fine point; dark dull green, the margins undulated and set with slender, forward-pointing teeth. Flowers in clusters of about six (sometimes ten or twelve) at each tuft of leaves, each flower on a slender stalk 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 in. long, bright yellow, 1⁄2 in. across. Berries black, covered with blue bloom, oval, 1⁄3 to 5⁄8 in. long, 1⁄4 in. wide. Bot. Mag., t. 8185.
Native of Szechwan, China, introduced for Messrs Veitch by Wilson about 1904. This fine species is one of the most useful of Wilson’s introductions from China, being evergreen, of compact, neat habit, and flowering abundantly. Allied to B. hookeri, it is of more graceful habit. The plant described above is the form commonly cultivated. It has longer leaves than in the type and has been distinguished by Dr Ahrendt as var. lanceifolia. It is quite hardy at Kew, and free growing. It flowers in late May. Bot. Mag., n.s., t. 504.
cv. ‘Fernspray’. – A form with light green, crinkle-edged leaves, put into commerce by Messrs Jackman of Woking. It makes an elegant specimen to about 6 ft high and almost as much wide and is also recommended as a hedging plant.
B. × chenaultii Ahrendt – The typical form of this cross, which is B. gagnepainii × verruculosa, was raised by Chenault of Orleans around 1933 and put into commerce in this country by Messrs Hillier. It is a rather slow-growing shrub with arching branches and glossy leaves, but otherwise much resembles the first parent.