An evergreen shrub of sturdy habit from 5 to 7 ft high; shoots ribbed, glabrous, armed with three-pronged spines up to 11⁄4 in. long. Leaves varying from solitary to fascicles of six, 11⁄2 to 3 in. long, 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 in. wide, oblong-lanceolate, the base cuneate, the apex acute, spine-tipped, margins spiny, green beneath, glabrous. Flowers in close clusters of up to twelve, each on a slender stalk 1⁄2 to 1 in. long, fragrant, pale orange-yellow according to Forrest, 1⁄2 in. wide. Fruits small, deep red, 1⁄4 in. or less long, narrowly oval.
Native of Yunnan, China, discovered by Forrest in 1912. It belongs to the Wallichianae section and has the characteristic dark green, more or less oblong leaves of that group. It was shown at Vincent Square on 9th March 1937 as “B. wallichiana microcarpa”, carrying primrose-yellow flowers.